St. Joseph Regional Medical Center (“the Hospital”) has served as the Lewis-Clark Valley’s primary hospital since 1902. This Hospital, at the time an Idaho nonprofit corporation, was initially owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph, which continued to sponsor it until it became a member of Ascension Health in 2002.
When, in 2017, Ascension Health sold the hospital to a subsidiary of RCCH HealthCare Partners, Ascension Health agreed to transfer $23 million of the $75 million net proceeds into a healthcare foundation that would be administered for the benefit of communities within the hospital’s service area. As a gesture of goodwill, the new for-profit owner, RCCH, agreed to also donate $2 million, bringing the Foundation’s total principal balance to $25 million.
With the guidance of state Attorney General Lawrence Wasden, The Lewis-Clark Valley Healthcare Foundation was established to benefit the people in the nine county region served by the Hospital. A local board of community advisors (“BCA”) was appointed to help the Foundation fulfill its philanthropic mission, promoting community health, wellness, and disease prevention. The intent is that this Foundation be administered by the Trustee and BCA to provide a multiple generational resource for regional health needs.